Please note these important reminders. All of the information can be located on our website:
1. Back to School Night- For 6th grade- Thursday, September 11 from 6:30pm-8:15pm. Please leave all children at home.
2. Back to School Night- For 7th and 8th grade- Thursday, September 18- 6:30-8:15pm. Please leave all children at home.
3. SEMS Book Fair- September 11-22. Open 7:15am daily and after school for 45 minutes. Also open during both Back to School Nights.
4. Dine Out- September 10 from 2-Close- TWO LOCATIONS (San Marcos theater and Bressi Ranch). You must have a flier. Please print one from the website and enjoy a night without cooking.
5. Athletics are back at SEMS. Please check the Athletic Department page for all of the information. Try-Outs are next week. ALL students need a physical before being allowed to try-out. Information on obtaining a physical as well as the Athletic Handbook that needs to be completed can be found on the Athletics page under Departments.
6. The ParentVUE used for checking grades and assignments will be open on September 12th. Please be looking for the activation code from your students next week. Please remember that the student id number is not to be shared, posted, etc. It is your child’s social security number for the school district.
Thank you for your attention to these events. Please continue to check the website for the most up-to-date information.
Good evening SEMS Families...
Here are some reminders for different groups of parents:
1. Tomorrow is a super cool treat for students who submit their ME2 Avatar and 12 emails of adult family and friends. Students who do this will receive a Kona Ice snow cone during their lunch time!!
2. Wednesday, September 17 at 6:30 PM is the Back to Band Night for parents of 6th grade band students. Please attend this meeting in our PAC and learn about the band program! Mr. McGhee and Ms. Kossler are excited to meet our new band parents!
3. Thursday, September 18th is Back to School Night for parents of 7th and 8th graders. Your students will be bringing home Back to School information for you and they have written their class schedule for you to follow. Back to School Night begins at 6:30 PM and parents must be seated in their child's period one classroom at that time. If your child has a 0 period, please be in that classroom by 6:15 PM. Parking will be difficult on this evening, so plan accordingly.
4. Fall sports night for all fall athletes and their parents is Tuesday, September 23 at 6:00pm in the Performing Arts Center (PAC). After a 20 minute presentation by the Athletic Coordinator, John Livingston, teams will break up into their respective sports to review sport specific procedures and expectations.
5. Friday, September 19 is Make-Up Picture Day for both students and staff. For students, please go to the PAC during their lunch. This is the second and last make-up day for all students.
6. We understand that this week’s weather will be hot. Our dynamic PE Department will adjust the activities of students based on anticipated weather, and they use their professional judgment on how they would want their child treated during different conditions. If you have any concerns, please contact your child’s PE teacher.
Thank you for your attention to these announcements,
Dear San Elijo Families,
Here are some important reminders for this week and upcoming weeks:
1. The first minimum day of the year is this Thursday, September 25. Students will be dismissed at 12:02pm. The other minimum days for the year are 11/6/2014, 1/22/2015, 3/5/2015, and 6/10/2015.
2. We would like to invite you to the annual San Marcos Unified School District College Expo on Tuesday October 7th at San Marcos High School. We will have over 90 university representatives in the Knights Center from 6pm to 8pm. Starting at 5:45 we will also have an Opening Session in the Theatre. For more information please visit www.sanmarcoshigh.org or call the San Marcos High School College and Career Center at 760-290-2226. Thank you and we hope to see you there.
3. Magazine Fundraiser: Thursday, September 25th is another turn in day and fun activities will be taking place during lunches! Students who turn in Promise 3 tickets will receive a phone pass for the day. Students who turn in Promise 7 on their own or Promise 11 with a buddy get to participate in fun activities and have a chance to win prizes! Please support our fundraiser and help your students sell magazine subscriptions!
4. Attention, 7th and 8th grade students! Our CJSF Fall Membership Drive is here! Starting Tuesday, September 23, CJSF applications may be picked up from the bulletin board outside the Counseling Office. Completed applications are due to the Counseling Office NO LATER THAN Monday, October 6 at 3 p.m. Late Applications CANNOT be accepted. 7th and 8th grade Students: Complete the application yourself. NO Parent signature is needed. Carefully follow instructions on the application and submit your application only if you earned the required 8 or more “grade points”. All 7th and 8th grade CJSF and Honor Roll students may attend our Fall CJSF Field Trip. CJSF (California Junior Scholarship Federation) is a statewide Honor Society for students in grades 7 and 8 with above-average grades and personal responsibility skills. Fall membership is based on grades earned during second (or spring) semester, so use your June Report Card. 6th grade students will be eligible for Honor Roll—and our Field Trip—in Spring, once they earn their first Middle School grades.
5. Fall Sports Night for all students and parents who are on fall sports teams is tomorrow, Tuesday, September 23, in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) from 6:00-7:30pm. Our PTO will be with us to help collect donations and sell SEMS Spirit Wear.
6. A meeting for Science Olympiad will be tomorrow, Tuesday, September 23, in the library starting at 6:00pm.
Thank you for your attention to these events,
Dear SEMS Families,
We have a lot going on this time of year so please take note of the following dates and events:
1. The Band Dine Out is at Flippin’ Pizza at 342 South Twin Oaks Valley Rd in San Marcos is TONIGHT - right across from CSUSM from 5 to 9 pm - with up to 50% given to our school.
2. Jamba Juice will be offered this Friday after school. $4 for a refreshing treat to start the weekend.
3. Two great opportunities are here for students to improve their schoolwork! RISE, our Study Skills class, meets for 6 weeks during 0-period on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. PRIDE, our after-school class to improve Language Arts or Math skills, meets on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Applications for both programs are available in the Counseling Office. Classes begin the week of October 13.
4. 7th Grade Parents: Our annual PACE Promise field trip to Cal State University, San Marcos is fast approaching. ALL 7th grade students will visit CSUSM on Friday, November 7 to learn about our school district's PACE Promise Program. Permission slips will be sent home next week. There is no cost for this field trip.
5. Red Ribbon Week will be October 20-24. Lunch-time activities and special dress-up days sponsored by ASB. Please check the website for the theme of each dress up day.
6. Please continue to support our Athletics programs. Flag Football and Volleyball games are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Our Athletics webpage has all of the information.
As always, please check the website for all of the information, and we thank you for your continued support of our students,
Dear SEMS Families,
Here are some important reminders as Halloween approaches tomorrow. Also, please take note of the dates where we have non-student days and holidays upcoming.
1. The Halloween dress code is on the website. Please verify that your student is following the dress code and the costume is in good taste. Students out of compliance will have to change out of their costume.
2. Minimum Day- November 6. Students will be dismissed at 12:02pm.
3. PACE Promise Field Trip: ALL 7th grade students will visit Cal State University, San Marcos on Friday, November 7 to learn about our school district’s PACE Promise program. There is no cost for this field trip.
4. No school on Tuesday, November 11 in observance of Veterans’ Day.
5. Non-student day on Monday, November 17th.
6. Challenges in Parenting Workshop on November 20, 2014 from 6:00pm-8:00pm at the San Marcos Unified District Office. Come learn techniques to teach your children. Disciplined children make happy children. Happy children make a happy home. Please contact Esther Flores to reserve your spot at email@example.com or 760-290-2537.
7. CJSF and Honor Roll field trip: 7th and 8th grade students who are Fall CJSF or Honor Roll members received a permission slip in Period 1. Our field trip is Friday, November 21 to see the movie "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" in Vista. Cost: $15. Payment MUST be made in the Front Office no later than Friday, 11/14 or online by 11/18.
8. Thanksgiving break- November 24-28th.
Thank you for your attention to these items. Additional information can be located on our website.
Dear SEMS Families,
Here are a few reminders and a letter from our counselor, Ms. Santiago:
1. Please join us on TODAY, Wednesday, November 12th at Islands in Encinitas from 5 to 9 pm for our next dine out supporting our school. No flyer required for the dine out, just mention San Elijo Middle School for our school to receive 20% of your purchase! This dine out for dine in guests only - thank you for supporting our school!
2. CJSF permission slips due Friday.
3. Monday, November 17 is a non-student day.
Our counselor Ms. Santiago is leaving to take a position at the district office. She wanted to pass along her well-wishes to all of the students, parents, and staff in a letter below:
Dear staff, students and parents,
I have enjoyed working with all of you here at San Elijo Middle School. I really feel that the connection that I have with all of you is equivalent to a family bond, which makes what I am going to write/say very difficult.
It is with mixed feelings that I am leaving SEMS after being the counselor for students with last names M-Z for the past 6 years. I have enjoyed being on the Bullying Awareness (now PALS) committee with staff, parents and students as well planning the PACE field trip for all 7th graders every year. There are too many others to mention. The fact is that this school, in its entirety with staff, students, and parents, has been LIKE NO OTHER for me.
So, I had an opportunity for a position at the District office as the first District School Social Worker. As you may or may not know, I have my MSW, have supported social work interns at our site for 4 years, I'm currently working on my licensing hours to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and I'm the President of our state's association (CASSW - California Association of School Social Workers). As you can imagine, I felt this position was perfect for me and not one to pass up! In this new position, which is part of the state's new funding formula, LCFF, and the new priorities through the LCAP, I will be working on district wide behavioral interventions along with supporting at-risk and foster care students. I'm so excited to move into my new role on Wed. Nov. 19.
As a result, starting on Thurs. Nov. 13, we will be welcoming Caroline O'Connor as my replacement. She is coming to us from Bonsall and she has experience with middle school students. It takes a special person to work with this age group and she likes it!
I will miss seeing so many of you on a daily basis to collaborate, to share, to problem solve, and to support.
My best wishes to everyone. "Be the change you want to see in the world". Mahatma Gandhi
Michelle C. Santiago, MSW, PPSC
Thanks for your attention to these announcements, and thank you Ms. Santiago for the positive impact you have had on the students and staff here at SEMS! You will be missed,
As we head into the holidays, please note these reminders and events:
1. Our annual AVID Holiday Food Drive began Monday, December 8, and will run through Wednesday, December 17. Bring canned food items from 7:30 AM-8:00 AM to the band area next to the PAC.
2. Santa Grams are now on sale for $1.00 during lunches. Please remember that any offensive, cynical, or other inappropriate messages will not be delivered and no refunds will be given.
3. Semester ends on January 30th for student report card grade.
4. From our Counseling Office:
a. UNPLUGGED - This program has been in our district for the past 12 years at all of the Middle and High Schools in our district. there is a boys group and a separate girls group that meet during rotating periods during one day a week. This support group discusses a wide variety of topics with the goal of supporting students so that they will be successful in school and in relationships with others. We have 3 Sessions during the year and we are currently taking permission slips for the session that starts in January.
b. WHY TRY- We have offered this program for several years. There is a Curriculum that we follow that is delivered by Counselors and Counseling Interns that is offered during the day in rotating periods. WHY TRY gives students awareness and skills to become and advocate for themselves so they are successful in school. There is a 6th Grade Group and a 7th-8th Grade Group. We are currently enrolling students and these groups will start in January.
c. Math Support classes are still open for students who are struggling in 7th & 8th grade. Please have your student see his/her counselor.
d. Please email Diana.Cavanaugh@smusd.org and the Counseling Department will give a permission slip/appplication to your student to bring home to you. Please feel free to contact Diana or me (760) 290-2833 if you have any further questions related to these programs.
5. Winter Crafts in the Library at lunches all month. Drop in to participate.
6. Join the Hour of Code Global Event. Participate in one hour of coding at home or at school. See www.code.org or #HourOfCode.
7. Winter break will be from Dec. 22- Jan 13. Students will return on Tuesday, January 13.
We hope you have a safe, happy, and restful holiday break.
See you in 2015!