Mustang E-Blast, Week of October 19th
Hi Mustang families,
We hope our weekly e-blasts help give you up-to-date information on upcoming events at Richland and as well as keep you “in the know”! A connected family is a successful family!
· October is Cancer Awareness Month! Richland staff and students will be wearing pink on Mondays through the remainder of October. Also, EVERY Wednesday all year is College Wednesday. Staff and students are encouraged to wear college gear as a reminder of not IF your students goes to college but WHEN they do! Mustangs are bound for college!
· Thanks to the generosity of our VAPA partner, Luminary Arts, we are bringing back a Richland tradition, a Holiday Chorus Performance. The Chorus will be open to any Richland Student free of charge. We will have an information session for any interested students and their parents this Friday after school in P-4, the VAPA room. Additionally, any students who are interested in auditioning to sing a solo can sing a small section of their favorite holiday song. Regular rehearsals will commence Thursdays and Fridays after school (3:15-4:00) from 10/27 through 12/9 for performances on December 13th.
· 3rd Grade STEAM Day is this Friday, October 21st. Thanks to parents for volunteering. It takes a village and everyone stepped up so this can happen. Thanks you. Be sure to ask your third graders about all the fun they learned at STEAM!
· Next week (October 24th-29th) is Red Ribbon Week at Richland. This week highlights the choice for healthy living and encourages children to live a drug free healthy life! See your child’s teacher for the activities planned. Schoolwide, the spirit days are as follows:
Monday- Lei Off Drugs- Hawaiian / Beach clothing
Tuesday-Team Up Against Drugs- Wear sports team clothing
Wednesday-Turn Your Back on Drugs- Wear clothing backwards
Thursday- Sock it to Drugs- Wear mismatching socks
· Given the nationwide concerns going on regarding the Clown Scares, we are asking that students do NOT dress up as Clowns for the Halloween carnival and Haunted House. There are so many other fun and scary costumes we can choose! Thanks so much for your understanding.
· Our NEXT Flag Salute is Friday, October 28th. At 8:45 a.m. Join your child for music, fun, school connections and Student of the Month.
· Help our school earn an extra $500 just by downloading the free SchooLicious app! Each elementary school that gets at least 40% of their families to download the app by Dec 31st will receive $500 for their school to fund wellness programs like PE and school gardens. After you download the app, select our school on the profile page. It’s that easy! Everyone in the community can get involved – so tell your friends, family and neighbors to download the app too (every download counts towards our goal). When you dine out, choose the participating SchooLicious restaurants supporting our school's wellness programs. For more info, visit www.schoolicious.org
· If you haven’t joined our REMIND APP, to receive emergency and up-to-date texts from Richland, please text : @jbarbar to number: 81010 to join the group. We have 219 families currently signed up Also consider “liking” our “Friends of Richland” Facebook page to be linked in every way!
· Calling our Dads! Do you see our Watch D.O.G.S. pictures on our banner? Know about our Watch D.O.G.S.? Watch D.O.G.S. is an innovative program being used by schools across America which helps them to be positively impacted by committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their student's life. Our goal is to have you spend at least one day this school year to be a positive male role model and to provide an extra set of eyes and ears on campus. To sign up to work ONE day this year, please see the link on the Richland website. Come be a celebrity here at Richland!
News from your FOR Club:
· Flyers were sent home asking classes to donate specific gift cards for raffle baskets for the Halloween Carnival. We have realized that the teachers name is not on the flyer! We apologize if you don't know where to send your gift card donations. We have uploaded the teacher’s names and their coordinating gift card needs under the PTO tab on the Richland website for you to reference to make sure where to send your gift card donations.
· Also, thank you so much for all your beverage donations! We are looking pretty well stocked on water but we really need more Coke and Diet Coke. If you still want to send in a beverage donation please consider Coke or Diet Coke. Thank you!
· Check Facebook for additional links/information on volunteer opportunities. Flyers with more information also to come home in Wednesday Envelope
· Parents to help make copies of flyers http://signup.com/go/wedhjx
· Anyone interested in helping assemble raffle baskets sign up at http://signup.com/go/5p5G3D
· Carnival has the potential to bring in anywhere from $15-18K in profit, that is used for programs like VAPA and STEAM.
· To make it as successful as possible, parents must be involved. Carnival is a great opportunity for parents who work to donate time and goods. Check the Richland website for minutes after each meeting to see how you can help if you can't make a meeting.
· Do you know about the San Marcos PACE Promise? The San Marcos Promise is a scholarship and career guidance program designed to enhance the lives of students, families and the communities in North San Diego County. We offer a promise of hope and opportunity for San Marcos’ youth and a long-term goal of reinforcing the culture of San Marcos as a well-educated, vibrant, prosperous community for years to come. The Promise inspires students to complete high school, sharpens focus on academic achievement and provides a direct path to post-secondary educational opportunities.
· Do you have a computer or internet in your home? If the answer is NO you may be eligible for an affordable computer and internet through the district partnership with Cox Cable’s program “Connect to Compete”. This year’s event at the district will be Saturday, October 29th from 10:00 – 11:30. Applications are available at Richland’s front office or on the website are due by TODAY, Wednesday, October 19th.
SMUSD signs MOU with Palomar College. Starting in the Fall of 2017, eligible graduates will be able to attend Palomar College full-time and tuition-free
Have a great week, Mustangs. We look forward to “Creating Magic” for your children this year!
Julie Barbara, Principal
"It is vital that when educating our children’s brains we do not neglect to educate their hearts." ~ Dalai Lama