Mustang E-Blast, Week of December 7th
Happy Wednesday, Mustangs,
We hope our weekly e-blasts help give you up-to-date information on upcoming events at Richland and as well as keep you “in the know”! A connected family is a successful family!
· Children and Families are invited to Toys for Joy this Saturday, December 10th at San Marcos High School from 9 a.m – 2 p.m. Sponsored by Rock Church, free toys will be given out to families in need for children ages 0-11! There will be FREE groceries and FREE lunch as well as inflatables, games, entertainment, music and more!
· As we head in to the holiday seasons, we must count our blessings. For those who are not as fortunate, we must remember that “we rise by lifting others”. We will have our annual Giving Tree this year in the office at Richland by the end of this week. . Please consider donating a gift card for gas or groceries or stop by to pick up an “ornament” with a wish for someone. We will be collecting through December 14th.
· In the spirit of giving, Kristen Engler, our counselor, will be leading a “Share the Warmth” campaign, new coat, sweater, sock drive. Please see Peachjar (our flyer management system) on our website for more information.
· Traffic Update: Please remember that the most important thing we can do for our children to keep them safe and teach them the way to stay safe. Our parking lot behavior has not been living up to this creed. Please remember the following rules:
o Do NOT double park and let your children out in the through lane and have them dart between cars. This is an accident waiting to happen. Please help us teach our children that this is not safe. They look to you for the right thing to do.
o Please pull all the way forward before dropping off or picking up children. This keeps the traffic flowing and allows for a quicker dismissal. It takes a village to all work together!
o If there is an issue or someone reminds you of the rules (staff or parent), PLEASE don’t take it personally. We are all trying to keep our kids safe and it is NEVER ok to resort to name calling or profanity. We all live in this community, want the best for our kids and need to work together! It’s the Mustang Way! 845 children are depending on us!
· Our NEXT Flag Salute is THIS Friday, December 9th at 8:45 a.m. Join your child for music, fun, school connections and Student of the Month. Our monthly FOR Club meeting will follow.
· Running Club Update: Now that we have a few running days of data, parents can log in to the system with their child's barcode number to check on their running progress. Simply go online to www.stridetrack.com and select the "Member Login" tab from the main menu. Enter your runner's id number to view progress, daily lap total, class total and school total. There is also an app available on the iTunes store that can be installed on iPhone or iPad (currently not available for android devices). Search the iTunes store for "Stridetrack Mobile" and download the free app. The app will store your students’ barcode number after the first time you enter it.
· Speaking of Running Club: The Chargers are coming to Richland! A special Charger Flag Salute is planned for December 13th at 10:00 a.m. We will be wearing either Charger gear or 100 miler Running Club t-shirts that day! Families are invited to join in on the fun for this exciting visit!
· Thanks to the generosity of our VAPA partner, Luminary Arts, we are bringing back a Richland tradition, a Holiday Chorus. Performances will be during school for the students and at 6:00 p.m. for families on December 13th. Mama Kats will be at the Holiday Choir Tuesday night- Cash makes the line for delicious pies and warm coffee and cocoa move faster!
· Winter Break vacation will begin with a half day on Friday, December 16th. School dismisses for Grades 1-5 at 12:55 p.m. NO LUNCH WILL BE SERVED. Both am and pm Kindergarten will attend in the morning and will dismiss at 10:50 a.m. Our holiday break will be from Monday, December19th and we will return on Monday, January 9th. We wish you all a joyful holiday season!
News from your FOR Club:
· There are lots of shopping opportunities that can also help Richland. When buying something on Amazon, please sign in through Amazon Smile and follow the link to Richland’s FOR Club. We get a percentage of the purchases directly back to our school.
· Finally, consider buying your students Richland Spirit Wear. All orders placed by December 1st will arrive, in time for Christmas. Richland Spirit Wear is available online: https://www.teepublic.com/user/forclub is the link to buy Spirit Wear in different colors, sizes and styles! What a fun way to represent Richland Mustangs!
· This coming Friday, we will be having a Frosty Shop with a fun variety of Christmas and Holiday themed items set up near the student store before flag salute, in addition it will be part of the student store during lunch. This is an excellent way to help Richland get into the Holiday Spirit while raising funds to support our students’ academic enrichment! FOR Club is looking for some volunteers to help this run smoothly. If you are available to help out, please email Richlandforclub@yahoo.com Frosty shop will be open Friday at flag salute and during lunch.
· Our Dream Dinner fundraiser is an easy way to raise some money for our children's educations, while getting some delicious and convenient meals. $34.99 for 3 Dinner for 3 (that's 9 meals!), $10 of that goes back to Richland! Please sign up ASAP for one of our prescheduled nights, if we don't get enough participants for certain time slots we will have to cancel them.
December 9th @ 4 PM: http://dreamdinners.com/fundraiser/689208
December 9th @ 6 PM: http://dreamdinners.com/fundraiser/689209
December 12th @ 4 PM: http://dreamdinners.com/fundraiser/689211
December 12th @ 6 PM: http://dreamdinners.com/fundraiser/689210
· Another great way to help support FOR Club and our children's educations is by saving the box tops from products you already buy! Check out this article written by former Richland mom on how to craft a DIY box top holder to make collecting them and turning them into your child's teacher a breeze http://adventuresinwunderland.com/diy-magnetic-box-top-hol…/
· Time is running out to participate in Speak Up 2016 from October 12th through January 13th! This survey will help us answer important questions about technology in our schools. Speak Up is an online national research project that provides an easy way for students, parents, and educators to participate in our decisions about technology, as well as contribute to the national dialogue about educational technology. Since 2003, Project Tomorrow has collected the viewpoints of over 4 million students, educators and parents – the Speak Up dataset represents the largest collection of authentic feedback from these key educational stakeholders.
As a participant in Speak Up, we receive free, online access to the aggregated results with state and national comparisons, providing us with valuable data that can be used for our strategic planning, professional development and budgeting plans during the school year.
Taking the survey is easy!
Follow these instructions to take the survey:
1. Visit http://bit.ly/SU16survey.
2. Select your group (e.g. parents, educators)
3. Search for your school by entering your zip code or by selecting California and selecting your school’s name from the list.
4. Read the instructions and begin the survey.
We look forward to our district’s strong participation in Speak Up 2016! Be sure to take the survey from October 12th to January 13th.
· Help our school earn an extra $500 just by downloading the free SchooLicious app! Each elementary school that gets at least 40% of their families to download the app by Dec 31st will receive $500 for their school to fund wellness programs like PE and school gardens. Download the free SchooLicious app to help Richland Elementary earn up to $500 for wellness programs, school gardens, PE and playground equipment. We are excited to announce Richland Elementary has reached 12% of our goal! Help us reach our goal of 40 percent! After you download the app, select our school on the profile page. It’s that easy! Everyone in the community can get involved – so tell your friends, family and neighbors to download the app too (every download counts towards our goal). When you dine out, choose the participating SchooLicious restaurants supporting our school's wellness programs. For more info, visit www.schoolicious.org
· If you haven’t joined our REMIND APP, to receive emergency and up-to-date texts from Richland, please text : @jbarbar to number: 81010 to join the group. We have 284 families currently signed up Also consider “liking” our “Friends of Richland” Facebook page to be linked in every way!
· Calling our Dads! Do you see our Watch D.O.G.S. pictures on our banner? Know about our Watch D.O.G.S.? Watch D.O.G.S. is an innovative program being used by schools across America which helps them to be positively impacted by committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their student's life. Our goal is to have you spend at least one day this school year to be a positive male role model and to provide an extra set of eyes and ears on campus. To sign up to work ONE day this year, please see the link on the Richland website. Come be a celebrity here at Richland!
· Do you know about the San Marcos PACE Promise? The San Marcos Promise is a scholarship and career guidance program designed to enhance the lives of students, families and the communities in North San Diego County. We offer a promise of hope and opportunity for San Marcos’ youth and a long-term goal of reinforcing the culture of San Marcos as a well-educated, vibrant, prosperous community for years to come. The Promise inspires students to complete high school, sharpens focus on academic achievement and provides a direct path to post-secondary educational opportunities.
SMUSD signs MOU with Palomar College. Starting in the Fall of 2017, eligible graduates will be able to attend Palomar College full-time and tuition-free
Have a great week, Mustangs. We love learning and “Creating Magic” with your children!
Julie Barbara, Principal
"It is vital that when educating our children’s brains we do not neglect to educate their hearts." ~ Dalai Lama